If you’re a beginner skateboarder, then you know how important it is to have grip tape on an electric skateboard deck. Grip tape helps keep your feet on the board while you’re skating and prevents them from slipping off.
Today, we’ll show you how to put grip tape on an Electric skateboard – step by step quickly and easily. We’ll also provide tips for choosing the right grip tape and taking care of your board. So, whether you’re just starting out or you’re looking for a new trick to add to your repertoire, keep reading for all the info you need on putting grip tape on a skateboard!
What is grip tape, and What does it do for an electric skateboard?
Grip tape is a type of adhesive tape that is applied to the top of a skateboard deck. It helps keep your feet on the board by providing traction and preventing them from slipping off.
Most standard grip tapes are made from a rough, sandpaper-like material that can be abrasive, so it’s important to choose the right type of grip tape for your electric skateboard.
Some boards come with pre-installed grip tape, but if yours doesn’t or you want to replace an old or worn-out piece, then read on for instructions on how to do it yourself.
Choosing the Right Grip Tape
Not all grip tapes are created equal, and there are a few things you’ll want to consider before buying one. First of all, you’ll need to decide what type of surface your electric skateboard rides on.
If you’re skating on concrete or other hard surfaces, then you’ll need a grip tape that is durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear. If you’re skating on softer surfaces, like wood or asphalt, then a less aggressive grip tape will work better.
You’ll also need to consider the thickness of the grip tape. Most standard grip tapes are 1-2 millimeters thick, but some brands offer thicker or thinner options.
Finally, you’ll want to choose a grip tape that has the right amount of stickiness. Some tapes are more sticky than others, so be sure to test them out before you buy.
Measure and Cut the Grip Tape
Once you’ve chosen the right grip tape, it’s time to measure and cut it to size. Start by measuring the width and length of your electric skateboard deck. Most decks are around 28-30 inches wide, so you’ll want to buy a grip tape that is at least that wide.
The length of the grip tape doesn’t really matter, so you can buy one that is the same length as your deck or a little longer.
Now it’s time to cut the grip tape. Most grip tapes come with instructions on how to do this, but if yours doesn’t, here’s how to do it:
- Cut a piece of cardboard that is the same width as your deck.
- Place the cardboard on top of the grip tape and trace it around it with a pen or marker.
- Cut along the traced lines using a sharp knife or scissors.
- Test the grip tape to make sure it fits the width of your deck. If it’s too wide, trim it down until it’s the correct size.
How to Take Care of Your Electric Skateboard and Grip Tape
Once you’ve got your grip tape installed, it’s important to take care of it so it will last longer. Here are a few tips:
- Keep the deck clean and free of debris.
- Don’t let the grip tape get wet.
- If the grip tape starts to wear down or peel, replace it right away.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or solvents to clean the grip tape.
- Store your electric skateboard in a cool, dry place.
Attach the Grip Tape to the Electric Skateboard
Now that you’ve got your grip tape, it’s time to apply it to your electric skateboard. Here’s how:
- Clean the surface of your deck with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.
- Remove the backing from the grip tape and place it in the center of your deck.
- Use your hands or a roller to press the grip tape firmly onto the deck.
- Cut off any excess grip tape around the edge of the deck.
- Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut out any holes in trucks, bearings, or other hardware.
- Let the grip tape dry completely before using your electric skateboard.
That’s it! Now you know how to put grip tape on an electric skateboard. Follow these instructions and your board will be safe and ready to ride.
Tips for Getting a Good Finish on Your Skateboard Deck
- Avoid riding your electric skateboard in the rain or snow.
- Keep the deck dry and free of dirt and dust.
- Apply a coat of wax to the deck every few months to keep it looking new.
Now that you know how to install grip tape on an electric skateboard, you can customize your ride however you want.
Try out different types and thicknesses of grip tape to find the one that works best for you, and be sure to take care of it so it will last longer. Have fun skating!
Remove Old or Damaged Grip Tape From a Skateboard
If you want to remove the old grip tape from your skateboard and replace it with a new one, here’s how:
- Use a razor blade or utility knife to cut it off.
- Clean the surface of the deck with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.
- Apply a new coat of grip tape to the deck.
- Let the grip tape dry completely before using
Skateboarders have been using grip tape to improve their rides for many years. This is a simple guide on how to put grip tape on an electric skateboard.
Be sure to choose the right type and thickness of grip tape, measure and cut it to size, and attach it firmly to the deck.
Putting grip tape on an electric skateboard is a great way to customize your ride and improve your performance.
Be sure to choose the right type and thickness of grip tape, measure and cut it to size, and attach it firmly to the deck. Taking care of your grip tape will help keep it looking new for longer. Have fun skating!
FAQs About Grip Tape
Q: What is grip tape and what does it do?
A: Grip tape is a type of adhesive paper that is applied to the top of a skateboard deck to improve traction and provide a better grip.
Q: How can I choose the right type and thickness of grip tape?
A: Choose the right type of grip tape based on the width of your deck and the level of traction you need. The thickness of grip tape is usually based on personal preference.
Q: How do I install grip tape on an electric skateboard?
A: Clean the surface of your electric skateboard deck with a damp cloth and let it dry fully and install the tap.
Q: How do I take care of grip tape?
A: Keep the deck clean and free of dirt and dust, avoid riding in the rain or snow, and apply a coat of wax every few months.